How to Choose the Right Hair Color for Your Skin Tone

Carrie

Carrie

Reaction score
Since I wrote a post about this season’s hottest hair colors, I thought I’d it follow it up with an informative post about how to actually choose the right hair color for your skin tone (thanks to a fellow reader!). Whether you’re a natural blonde, brunette, or redhead, you can pretty much change to any hair color as long as you follow some strict guidelines.
SKIN TONE

All complexions consist of two skin tone categories: warm skin tones and cool skin tones.
WARM SKIN TONES

Nicole-Richie-Warm-Skin-Tone.jpg

If you have a yellow or golden undertone, you fall under the warm category. Therefore, hair colors that have a warm undertone will look much better on you than a cool undertone color. So how can you tell if you have a warm skin tone? Simply look at the veins in your arms in the day light. If the veins appear to be green, then your complexion is warm.And don’t forget that this rule doesn’t only apply to hair but everything else in between such as makeup and clothing!
COOL SKIN TONES

Anne-Hathaway-Cool-Skin-Tone.jpg

If you have pink or blue skin undertones, you have a cool skin tone. This means that hair colors with cool undertones will look better on you. To see if your skin tone is cool, take a look at the veins in your arms during daylight and if they are blue, then you have a cool complexion.
TIPS

Skin-Tone-Hair-Guide-Warm-Tone-189x300.jpg
Skin-Tones-Hair-Guide-195x300.jpg

WARM TONE COLORS COOL TONE COLORS

- If you’re dying your hair for the first time, head to your local salon for better results. Plus, they’ll be able to match you with your perfect hair color.

- If you’re a pro at dying your hair at home (you’ve done it a few times), don’t forget that all dye boxes now tell you whether the color is warm or cool.

- There are always exceptions to the rules, such as combining warm and cool tones and using them as dimensional colors, but again, I would suggest you get this done by a professional

- Can’t figure out what your skin tone is? As a rule of thumb, most people are actually cool toned.

Very informative post on color choosing.

Thanks Carrie :rose:

Back