Maryam Jinnah's Relationship with Jinnah

Veer

Veer

Famous Pakistani
Staff member

Reaction score
Rattanbai "Ruttie" Petit Jinnah, born Rattanbai Petit; 20 February 1900 – 20 February 1929), also known by her married name Maryam Jinnah, was the second wife of Muhammad Ali Jinnah — the founder of Pakistan.

Family and background
Maryam Jinnah's Family and background

Marriage and problems
Maryam Jinnah's Marriage and problems

Relationship with Jinnah
Ruttie's complex relationship with her husband can also be elaborated by reading some extracts of her last letter to him "...When one has been as near to the reality of Life (which after all is Death) as I have been dearest, one only remembers the beautiful and tender moments and all the rest becomes a half veiled mist of unrealities. Try and remember me beloved as the flower you plucked and not the flower you tread upon." ... ".. Darling I love you – I love you – and had I loved you just a little less I might have remained with you – only after one has created a very beautiful blossom one does not drag it through the mire. The higher you set your ideal the lower it falls. I have loved you my darling as it is given to few men to be loved. I only beseech you that the tragedy which commenced in love should also end with it...".

Jinnah is seen as a very private person and he hardly showed emotions but he is known to have cried twice in public. One of the occasions was the funeral of his beloved wife Ruttie in 1929 and the other one in August 1947, when he visited her grave one last time before leaving for Pakistan. Jinnah left India in August 1947, never to return again.

Last days and death
Maryam Jinnah's Last days and death

Last love letter to Jinnah
Ruttie's Love Letter to Jinnah

Back